A remarkable, non-violent movement took place in 2012-14 near Khag in Kashmir, to conserve Tosamaidan, a lovely, biodiversity-rich Himalayan landscapes of forests, meadows and mountains. The main focus of the movement was to stop an army firing range that had killed several people and livestock, and caused loss of livelihoods, for several decades. Local villagers of about 60 panchayats mobilized under the banner of
Tosamaidan Bachao Front, with help from civil society groups, and convinced the government to not extend its lease. Subsequently, movement members have been planning ecological regenration and alternative livelihood options for the local people, especially youth. In the new situation created by the central government’s proposed abrogation of Kashmir’s special status and downgrading it to a Union Territory, the future
of this unique initiative is uncertain.
An illustrated presentation by Shrishtee Bajpai and Ashish Kothari of Kalpavriksh, who visited Tosamaidan in June this year.
Saturday, 7th September, 11 am
Location: Pagdandi Basement, Shop No.6, Regent Plaza, Baner Pashan Link Road, Behind
Symantec, Baner 411045, Pune,
Entry Free. Seating on first come basis
To read the entire Newsletter, please click here.
Pluriverse: A Post-Development Dictionary contains over 100 essays on transformative initiatives and alternatives to the currently dominant processes of globalised development, including its structural roots in modernity, capitalism, state domination, and masculinist values. It offers critical essays on mainstream solutions that ‘greenwash’ development, and presents radically different worldviews and practises from around the world that point to an ecologically wise and socially just world.
TO KNOW MORE CHECK THE BROCHURE.
Yay! We are back with 2nd edition of Circle of Life book…
To place your order, write to [email protected]
You can also order it online here: https://www.amazon.in/dp/8187945834
If you are in Pune, collect it from Pagdandi, Baner!
Inviting young artists and storytellers to a 3-day workshop to reimagine existing structures and values of development and progress through visual narratives that envision a democratic, inclusive and sustainable world.
12th to 14th June
At DEL Lab, Shrishti Institute of Art, Design and Technology, Bangalore
Limited slots available! To register, please write to [email protected]
Meet author Sujatha Padmanabhan.
A special fun session on her new book – THE POOP STORY followed by a fun activity. She will also speak about her experience living in Leh Ladakh and her stories from there.
Saturday 16th Feb 2019
Age 7-13 Time – 4-5:30 pm Fees – Rs 400/-
Animal stories with a twist
Age 4-7 Time – 6-7 pm Fees – Rs 200/-
Books on sale too.
Whatsapp 9820229003 to reserve your seats
To read the latest issue of Protected Area Update Newsletter, please click here.
We are looking to publish fiction and non-fiction books for children. Do send in your manuscripts at the earliest!
Types of books
Illustrated storybooks and non-fiction books for children aged 6 to 14 years
We are looking for fiction and non-fiction books on the themes of environment, nature, wildlife (especially lesser known species) and community conservation based in India.
Our main criteria for selection of fiction are that the story should be original and engaging for children, with interesting plots and characters. It shouldn’t be preachy and moralistic. It should have an Indian setting. We value diversity. Natural history information, if any, should be woven in seamlessly. Language and length should be age-appropriate and correlate to the complexity of the story.
Our main criterion for non-fiction is, again, that it should be interesting for children. Information should be presented in creative ways. We are NOT looking for textbook-ish or encyclopaedic books on wildlife.
Our books are usually published under a Creative Commons license.
How to submit
- Please send all manuscripts by email to Sujatha Padmanabhan [email protected]
- Authors may discuss initial ideas with us OR they may submit a complete manuscript. In either case, a decision will only be taken on seeing the final work. Please do not submit previously published work.
- If you plan to write a fresh manuscript specifically for this proposal, we recommend that you send us an outline first. This will help avoid situations where we have to reject a perfectly good manuscript only because we have already published a similar book.
- You may send as many manuscripts as you like.
- Once selected, we will get the illustrations done. However, if you already have illustrations for your book, please submit those as well, for consideration.
- We will take up to three months to review your manuscript. After you have submitted the manuscript to us, we request that you wait till you hear from us OR for a period of three months before submitting it to other publishers, at which time, we would appreciate if you inform us.